How to audition for Live Music Now
Our live audition process ensures that we maintain the highest standards of delivery.
Audition days are held throughout the UK. Please check the calendar here for upcoming dates. LMN selects its musicians, as soloists or in groups (usually of up to 5 people), from a wide range of musical traditions and cultures. Musicians in the early stages of their performing career and resident in the UK and Ireland may apply. Audition applications must be received at least 6 weeks before the audition date to be considered.
- To request an application, complete this online form
- Gillian Green, Auditions Director, will send you a form. If you have any questions or have not received the application within one week of request, please email email@example.com
- Return your form and audition fee no later than 6 weeks before the audition date
- Once you've applied, LMN Branch staff will contact you with an invitation to attend a LMN performance, prior to the audition.
Musicians joining LMN have generally finished their advanced musical training and are beginning to establish themselves are professional performers. They are usually between the ages of 20 and 30 and looking to expand and develop their musical and outreach skills.
There are no hard and fast rules and we look at each individual case as it arises. In general, we would expect you to remain on the scheme for at least 4 years after you are accepted at audition, and not more than 6 years. However, again, we are flexible when considering special cases.
At the auditions musicians are assessed by a panel of distinguished musicians and guest experts in a wide range of musical fields. Their understanding of the scheme's requirements ensures that the highest standards are maintained. They will be looking for:
- a very high standard of musicianship
- a varied and suitable choice of music
- good presentation skills and evidence of an ability to establish a rapport with an audience
- a commitment to the aims of Live Music Now
Most LMN performances take place on weekdays during the day. Your other commitments should allow you some availability during these times in order to be able to accept LMN work. Musicians from overseas residing in the UK should ensure that they have a valid visa which enables them to undertake paid employment. There should be a minimum of 18 months before the visa's expiry date.
In order to cover our costs, LMN charges a modest fee per musician, at the time of audition.
For more on the audition process, please watch this short film.
The musicians that came to visit us were so amazing, they brought tears to my eyes!
Find out more
If you would like to find out more about musicians development, please contact:
Carol Main, Director- International Development
T: 0131 332 6356