Live Music Now at Home - Free Online Live Music Resources for Care Homes
Friday 19th June 2020
Prior to the Covid-19 lockdown, Live Music Now musicians reached people in over 250 residential care homes each year. To continue to support and connect with people living in care and the hard-working and dedicated teams that look after them, Live Music Now created the LMN at Home video library, a free online resource of pre-recorded live music videos.
The concerts feature some of the most talented early career musicians in the UK in a range of genres; folk, jazz, popular, western classical and traditional, and include familiar songs and tunes, as well as new musical discoveries. There are opportunities to join in with singing and percussion, or to just sit back, listen and enjoy.
The videos can be viewed on smart TVs, laptops, tablets or smartphones. Live Music Now also created guidance notes to help care homes make the most of the concerts.
The Hopkins Oliver Duo is one of many LMN ensembles featured in the video library
In developing the programme, Live Music Now surveyed care homes they work with regularly through Live Music in Care residencies, to find out what they wanted and could manage, and how reliable their online connectivity was. The majority of those who responded were keen to receive pre-recorded live music concerts specially commissioned and created by LMN musicians. Many said that they would be confident to lead and facilitate simple interactive activities as part of those sessions.
Liz Jones, Policy Director of National Care Forum spoke for many when she said:
The complete Live Music Now at Home offer includes:
- Pre-recorded online concerts from all around the country from a wide variety of genres, available on the LMN at Home video library page for care homes: The library will be updated with new concerts weekly. http://www.livemusicnow.org.uk/lmnathomecare
- Interactive online residencies with care homes like this one here, with LMN musicians facilitating participatory music making with people living and working in care;
- Bespoke concerts for care homes for special occasions (holidays, birthdays);
- DVDs for care homes who aren't able to access the online video library page;
- Short films that share techniques for making music to help care teams develop their skills and confidence in that like this one here; and
- Arranging, where musicians are local, outdoor/courtyard live music concerts like this one at the Leeds Recovery Hub.
If you are interested in finding out more contact Live Music Now's Strategic Director of Wellbeing Douglas Noble at email@example.com