What are the benefits of music for a care home, and its residents?
“Singing is great!”
- It can improve the quality of life fo residents, including those with dementia at various stages, and a range of other health issues.
- In turn, this can help their carers and family feel more positive.
- Care staff who sing were more motivated and enjoyed their work more.
- Homes that sang and introduced music regularly were, in our surveys happier places as a result.
- We even found evidence that care homes and other settings saved costs elsewhere as a result of introducing such activities.
- The QCQ tell us that an effective singing programme can address each of the five questions they consider when making their quality assessment of a care home.
But don’t just take our word for it. Watch videos below of care home staff talking about music; and read quotes from care home managers, singing leaders, the Care Quality Commission and NICE in our 10 Headlines summary.