Live Music Now North East has been working over the summer in partnership with the Leeds Care Delivery team to reach isolated older people across the City with a series of livestreamed and interactive concerts over zoom.
The Operational Development Manager for Leeds Care, Catherine Smethurst, has been truly delighted with the way the musicians have connected – she dropped into one of the online concerts and emailed to say:
‘Just letting you know how fabulous the online live concert sessions were with Simon – I had some lovely feedback from individuals and groups who joined in. I loved the music and Simon’s very interactive approach,’
On 1 October, Live Music Now musician Simon Robinson continues the series with a livestreamed concert to care settings in Leeds – part of a range of activities to mark the United Nations’ ‘International Day of Older Persons’. This year’s theme is ‘Digital Equity for the Ages’. Livestreaming and digital technology enabled Live Music Now to continue to connect with older people in care and those living at home in the darkest days of the pandemic. We will continue to livestream concerts and create pre-recorded content, even as we return to live and in-person performances.
Digital Equity for the Ages
Objectives of United Nations ‘International Day of Older Persons’ #UNIDOP2021:
- To bring awareness of the importance of digital inclusion of older persons, while tackling stereotypes, prejudice and discrimination associated with digitalization, taking into account sociocultural norms and the right to autonomy.
- To highlight policies to leverage digital technologies for full achievement of the sustainable development goals (SDGs).
- To address public and private interests, in the areas of availability, connectivity, design, affordability, capacity building, infrastructure, and innovation.
- To explore the role of policies and legal frameworks to ensure privacy and safety of older persons in the digital world.
- To highlight the need for a legally binding instrument on the rights of older persons and an intersectional person-centered human rights approach for a society for all ages.
Celebrate International Day of Older Persons with Live Music Now and watch a pre-recorded concert from Simon Robinson here: